Saturday, May 1, 2010

Gehrman's: Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty

I was not looking forward to reading this novel as I was put off by the bright pink cover with swirls, polka-dots, and a heart. I was sure it would be filled with teen girl dialogue referring to all sorts of things of which I had no interest. It turns out I was partially correct. The story is told through diary entries of a teen girl who often talks about clothes, friends, and boys. However, the style of writing is such that this intelligent teenager captivates the reader drawing them quickly into the teenage intrigue. A quarter of the way through the story I realized that this was a Shakeperean homage or rewrite of which play I did not know until the main character's revealed their real names. Jody Gehrman updates one of Shakespeare's funniest plots with colorful, intelligent, intentionally stereotypical teens and parents. The dialogue and plot are both witty and engaging. I found myself concerned less with the things Gehrman's character's were saying than how they were saying them. Note: this title is not in CLC's library. This book has a well received sequel which is a retelling of another favorite classic. Click here to watch a book trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment